Re: COMMENT

From: Frank Hubeny <fhubeny_at_ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:05:49 -0500

I can see two uses for comments:

(1) Comment data check whether the designers understand the table and entities adequately enough. Unintelligible or missing comments are a sign that the design may be faulty.

(2) Comment data can be used to document plsql packages. Rather than repeating the comment for a field when it is the best description of a plsql parameter, one could reference the comment. Although this would require that the user_source information itself be processed to retrieve the comment on the parameter, it does save multiple rewriting and mistyping of the same text. For example, one could reference the dummy column on the dual table as "<comment>dual.dummy</comment>". The procedure that you would write to display this information to your browser would search for any values tagged with "comment" and return the comment for the column. ( If you get into this type of generated documentation you may even find that you want to add more comment tables to the database than already exist.)

Frank Hubeny