Re: Any views on RMAN?

From: Bill Border <bb22_at_uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:32:35 -0600

 Hi Terry,

  We have been using RMAN (with Veritas) for about the last  6 months to backup about 60-70 DB's every day. It seems to  work relatively well, with a few caveats:

  1. Even though the documentation says that you can run RMAN without a separate recovery catalog DB, you cannot. The documentation clearly states that with 8.1 and higher that you can use the control files as your recovery catalog with minimal (they never say what is lost) loss of functionality. We found that if you make any physical structural changes to the DB and then try to restore and rollforward through that time, it doesn't work (nasty errors). The bottom line: Always use a recovery catalog, even with 8.1.
  2. There is an RMAN command called (?) "change logs all validate" which sync's the archive log dir with the recovery catalog. We had some support people using this as a fix-all for any rman arclog problem. Again, you cannot recover rollforward through the time when you ran this command.

  Other than that, it is MUCH EASIER than the old "cp"  recovery process. It is very good about telling you  what it is doing during restore and recovery.

  In conjuction with our implmentation of RMAN, we coded  an interface to DBAmon (our DB monitoring tool) which  measures hourly the number of hours since the last  successful backup. If our threshold is exceeded, then  an alarm goes off and DBAmon automatically attempts  to rerun the backup.

 Good Luck!
 Bill

--
Bill Border