Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA

From: Ethan Post <epost1_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:34:52 GMT

I disagree with some of the comments already made. I think your chances of getting a job after certification are more like 1 in 50. There are plenty of companies out there hiring Oracle DBA's who have no idea of what or who they are hiring and are not willing to pay enough money to get on in the first place. If you keep interviewing you will eventually stumble into on of these places and land a job. When I say 1 in 50, I mean 50 interviews, you will get a job.

The route I took was to work as a MS Access programmer as a contractor. I eventually started writing programs that pulled data from an Oracle DB. Eventually I ended up in a place with no DBA so I became it. I don't want to say that this is the best way but it works because it is way more likely you will get hired as an MS Access programmer than an Oracle DBA. You will also learn a lot of DB fundementals before stepping up to Oralce. Like MS Access to a VW Bug and Oracle to a MAC Truck.

I will be posting a lot of streaming tutorials for the OCP exam #1 in the coming weeks as I'm tutoring a few guys for the exam right now. You can check them out at
http://www.freetechnicaltraining.com/oracle_tutorials.htm

-Ethan
http://www.freetechnicaltraining.com
http://www.gnumetrics.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Sep 11 2000 - 14:34:52 CDT