Re: Experience with scalability of parallel server?

From: Barbara Kennedy <barbken_at_teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 08:44:36 -0700

It isn't as simple as add another server and scale 2x (or thereabouts). If the application is partitioned correctly then yes. For example, If Machine A has blocks 1 through 10,000 locked for it's users and Machine B needs one of those blocks then it signals Machine A through the DLM (dynamic lock manager). Machine A then writes it's data out and releases those blocks. Machine B now can operate on those blocks. If very soon after Machine A needs one of those blocks it...

You can get added overhead if there is a lot of this false pinging. You need to do a lot of configuration and monitoring to make sure things get set up just right. No I have not set this up, I surmise this from the Oracle documentation.
Jim