Re: import problem (URGENT!!!)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:16:16 +1000

True. It should create the tablespaces for you. However the path and filenames of the data files associated with those tablespaces is hard-coded in the dump file -so import will need to be able to create those files in exactly the right place. So you'd best hope this is being done on a second box, with an identical disk/directory configuration. And import will need to have appropriate permissions to create files etc.

If it's on the same box, I'd suggest you at least create your *own* tablespaces (named exactly as on the source database, or you'll get into trouble with where your imported objects end up), putting the datafiles wherever you deem appropriate.

*Then* you can run a full import, with ignore=Y, and you should get all your tables and indexes etc back.

On the other hand, the whole thing could just be because it has crashed horribly -maybe no memory. You could perhaps try shutting down your original database first, thereby at least freeing up the SGA-amount of memory, and seeing if that helps. Or you could be running into some other O/S problem, such as semaphores, number of processes and so on.

Regards
HJR

Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of Oracle Corporation
Oracle DBA Resources:               http://www.geocities.com/howardjr2000