Re: SQL Server 7/2000 vs Oracle 8i

From: <tandym_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 20:03:47 GMT

Yes I have priced oracle, and just recently in fact. And I do use Oracle Support a lot, and metalink as well.

> Have you ever priced Oracle?
>
> Last I checked, in NT/SQL if you decide to go from a 500MHZ processor
> to a 750MHZ you didn't have to pay 50% more for the software. Also
 you
> don't have to pay double the cost because you have a dual processor
> box..or four times if you have a quad.

TO get the same amount of [Microsoft] support as a Premium Support Package for Oracle, the cost was... I think my company paid something like $25,000 or was it $250,000? And for Oracle - it was only $4996 for 24 x 7 unlimited calls. SIGNIFICANT difference if you ask me.

And any microsoft tech i have ever talked to is about as good as the worst of the oracle support reps. And the oracle reps who are better than that can be very very good. You may only call MS Support 3 - 6 times a year - but that's perhaps because you already know more than any of their help desk people... that seems to be the case with me. Anyhow, we are talking about entry-level administrators and users here -  not veterans. They will be using support A LOT.

Now I agree that the power unit leaves a little to be desired, but it pertains to the INTERNET APPLICATION SERVER, not the RDBMS engine - which remains reasonably priced, about $2500 for 5 named users. I didn't see anywhere in the original post where he was asking about 'Which is [priced] better for Web and E-Commerce?'

In which case, oracle doesn't care what web server you use. You can use IIS or iPlanet or even spend the big bucks for their internet server.

> Oracle pricing is fucked up. End of story. Where's the variable
 costs
> to justify paying more because you have a 500MHZ vs a 750MHZ
> processor? Then they charge you more depending onthe type of
> computer? 24X for a mainframe?
>
> "Sir. This tank of gas you're pumping. I see you are putting it into
> a sports-car. I have to charge you 24 times the cost."
>
> MS Support is $200(?) a support incident. I do networking and maybe
> use it 3-6 times a year. Thats $1200 tops. If you need to make
> significanly more calls than that then go find another career.

touchy aren't we?
and just a thought... but networking is hardly as complicated as adminstering, developing [in] and hosting an oracle environment, so perhaps you should first consider from whence you speak.

> But at least you get SOMETHING out of that $1200. Why should I pay
 50%
> more because I want to replace my 500MHZ proc with a 750?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

sonya

Sonya M. Sipes
Computer Solutions (TM)
Oracle / MSSQL Server DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Sep 08 2000 - 15:03:47 CDT