Re: SQL Server 7/2000 vs Oracle 8i

From: Mike <dmmattix_at_swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:19:00 -0500

In article <8omqvh$r49$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>, William.Rosmus_at_cita.com says...
> These systems both have good proprietary features (ddl, dml), but
> reading this, I would also pay attention to how close these two rdbms's
> adhere to the ANSI standards... as well as their features that make the
> system more powerful (faster, robust) and easy to use. Using the
> proprietary features can lock you into always needing to use the same
> rdbms, even if another product is more desirable for a particular
> implementation.
>
> BillR
>
> In article <#VTQYK5EAHA.275_at_cppssbbsa04>,
> "Kalen Delaney"
> <kalen_delaney_at_hotmail.please_reply_on_public_forums.com> wrote:
> >
> > SQL Server 2000 provides Instead-Of triggers, which fire prior to (and
> > instead of) the insert, update or delete statement that caused the
 trigger
> > to fire.
> >
> > SQL Server 2000 has materialized views, which are called "Indexed
 Views"

> > HTH
> >
> > --
> > Kalen Delaney
> > MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
> > www.InsideSQLServer.com
> > Feed Someone for Free Today:
> > www.TheHungerSite.com
> >
> > Phil <jsneth_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Triggers in Oracle are extremely flexible. With SQL Server (last
 time
> > > I checked), programmers were comparitively limited in the control
 they
> > > had over when a trigger executes.
> > >
> > > Oracle 8i's "materalized views" (like views, but actually store data
> > > for perfomance) are not a feature SQL Server has yet - I *think*.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Then don't write any stored procedures as these tend to bring out the most proprietary features of anything in the database...

D.M.(Mike) Mattix
david.m.mattix_at_monsanto.com Received on Fri Sep 08 2000 - 12:19:00 CDT