Re: Exporting a Large Table

From: ajg <epidillygoober_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 11:32:03 -0800

Hi,

If your on Unix, you could export to a compressed file:

mkfifo exportfile.dmp.pipe cat exportfile.dmp.pipe | \   compress > exportfile.dmp.Z &

exp ... file=exportfile.dmp.pipe ...

If your just going for a table rebuild, perhaps there is space within the database (temp space?) to copy the table to, and then back to the orginal space. Turn off logging and use parallel query to increase speed.

(syntax is not verified here)

create table temp_tablename nologging parallel(degree 4) tablespace temp pctfree 0 as select * from tablename;

drop table tablename;

create table tablename nologging parallel(degree 4) tablespace normal_tablespace as select * from tablename;

Keep in mind storage management caveats involved with parallel query and non-recoverability with turning off logging.

Alan.