Re: Is Oracle deliberately difficult?

From: <tandym_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:39:17 GMT

I administer both Oracle and SQL Server databases. I had the fortune to learn the 'nuts and bolts' of SYBASE before MS made it's SYBASE clone.

Yes, on purely straightforward approach, MSSQL Server (specifically 7.0) is easier to administer for an average person who has taken the class. However, taking the class doesn not mean that you are equipped to handle the problems that may arise, i.e. data corruption, bad backups, etc.

MSSQL Server is nearly as complicated as Oracle when it comes to competent/complete administration.

If you just want to know that your data is being backed up, SQL Server is easier. IF you have a bad backup and need to restore quickly to a point in time - the SQL Server class barely offers you an overview.

So, in a sense, what you say is both true, and false.

The best way to learn Oracle (or any other complex product) is to get a job as a junior dba and WATCH and LEARN and ASK. And practice.

sonya
In article <39AAD6A9.5540_at_virgin.net>,
  sid.james_at_virgin.net wrote:
> I've been learning Oracle for a while now and I do think of it as
 quite
> challenging in an enjoyable way. I don't use Enterprise Manager, I'd
> rather get to to know the 'nuts and bolts'. However, having done a SQL
> Server administrator's course, I can't help thinking that Oracle is
> rather more difficult to use than maybe it should be.
>
> Sensible, rational responses that shoot me up in flames are always
> preferable!
>
> e d

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Sep 06 2000 - 11:39:17 CDT