Re: set command in PL-SQL

From: Fidelio <rjn_at_pobox.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2000 14:14:07 +0200

"Emre Akbag" <akbag_at_scr.siemens.com> writes:

>How can I run "set serveroutput on" command in a stored procedure?
>Or where can I find the parameter file for SQL-Plus, where I can set these
>kind of parameters globally?
>I hope, there is such a file.

set serveroutput on is a SQL*Plus command, not sql or pl/sql. PL/SQL runs on the server, and if you use dmbs_output.put_line() you send output to the client calling the pl/sql. Some clients, like SLQ*Plus ignore this output when setrveroutput is off, and will display it when serveroutput is on. Other client tools may fetch it by default, or ignore it. There is no way of knowing when using pl/sql.

Get tons of referrals - Sign up now ! http://www.refmatrix.com/
The Adsenger information resource - http://www.xs4all.nl/~rob/adsenger.html