Cannot install Oracle 8.1.6 (8i R2) on NT Workstation

From: Chris S <cschofie_at_nospam.home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 07:49:11 GMT

I have done a couple of upgrades to 8.0.5 and 8.1.5 databases, but today for the first time I tried to install 8.1.6 (aka 8i release 2) on a 'virgin' NT workstation machine. I took all the 'typical' options. The install chugs along for a good hour, then simply 'exits' - disappears from the screen entirely. No error messages.

I repeated the exercise (twice!), and watched more closely. It seems to fail consistently during or after copying file vtc.jar. The progress bar reaches 17%, and it seems to be copying that file for an age, then the installer simply exits.

I looked at the log file (c:\program
files\oracle\inventory\logs\install activities.log) and there is no obvious indication. There is no mention of vtc.jar in this log - maybe because it didn't complete?

There's over a gig free on C, and over 4 gig on D (where I'm installing the database to).

NT 4 SP5. First time I tried, no other Oracle products installed. Last time I tried it, it was after installing developer 6i. No difference.

Thanks, Chris

Remove 'nospam' from email to reply - Thanks Received on Tue Sep 05 2000 - 02:49:11 CDT