Re: How to Rebuild tablespace with Big Segment????

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 15:13:15 +0200

"Á¤µ¿Á÷" <jungdj_at_heung-a.co.kr> wrote in message news:vm0t5.6530$jM4.33687_at_news2.bora.net...
> Hi, Guys.
> We have the ORACLE 7.3.4.5 (OPS) on HP-UX 10.20.
> Usually, to rebuild tablespace, we used IMP/EXP.
> But, now data volumn is very big.So it's almost impossible to rebuild
> tablespace using exp/imp.
>
> A month ago, I recovered one table (about over 5million rows) using
 EXP/IMP.
> it spent about 18 hours....for only one table!!!!! Import was very very
> slow.
>
> We are lookng up the good alternatives to rebuild tablespace except
 EXP/IMP.

There are none, or you should buy Platinum TSReorg. I would try to tune exp/imp first.
You are aware of the most common measures to do this? If you don't use direct path export, increase the buffer to say 8M. Skip creating the indexes initially when importing. Create the index using the unrecoverable option.
Exp/imp shouldn't last for 18 hours for one 5 million row table, and it definitely doesn't. Please post the commands you are using.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Tue Sep 05 2000 - 08:13:15 CDT