Re: Was running fine, now....

From: Nevin Hahn <nevin.hahn_at_born.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 05:39:37 GMT

I recommend that you seek the services of a DBA. Performance problems can exist on many levels. If the application has worked well for sometime but over time
has seen performance diminish can mean that disk is filling up, and possibly more people
are accessing the system, and fragmentation is causing more disk reads than optimimum.

In general performance tuning steps are:

0) Listen to users as to what biggest problems are!!
1) Analyze the system, Oracle and the hardware.
2) Look at the worst SQL in the system.
3) Identify Problem areas and possible solutions,
4) Minimize focus of the tuning to try to fix specific problems, massive
changes
can actually make things worse if changes are not all compatible.

Iterations of these processes are generally necessary.

Nevin Hahn
nhahn_at_evoke.com