Re: So long insert ...

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_iprimus.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:46:27 +1100

"Michael J. Moore" <mNiOcShPaAeMl.j.moore_at_wcom.com> wrote in message news:B9Sr5.842$6a1.14008_at_pm01news.wcom.com...
> I believe that Oracle recommends not to use percent increase of 0 due to
> coalescence which performs poorly with 0%.
> Try 1%. This is probably not related to your problem.
> Mike

Absolutely not. A non-zero value for PCTINCREASE will indeed enable automatic coalescing of tablespaces. However, a non-zero value for PCTINCREASE will generate the *need* for coalescing. Without it, you stand a better chance of having consistent extent sizes in your tablespace, and hence never needing to coalesce at all.

What's more, even if you *need* coalescing, the last thing you really want on a production system is Oracle taking it into its head to have a dabble at coalescing in the middle of the day. A DBA who is not suffering from 'cop out' syndrome will instead arrange for manual coalescing to take place at the dead of night when no-one gives a damn (alter tablespace X coalesce).

I like your phrase "performs poorly with 0%". "Doesn't do it at all" = "performs poorly". Nice one.

Anyway. Don't set PCTINCREASE to anything other than zero unless you want to *cause* the problem that it then fixes up for you at the most inconvenient of times.

Regards
HJR