Re: How do I actually use the 8i sample database?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_iprimus.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:27:54 +1100

<mcc95_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8orqj5$bqb$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> If you
> don't want answer, then don't answer. No thing is too simple.
> Everyone has new in some area.

Entirely true. However, Sybrand is not alone in thinking that it is extremely bad form to mail a request for help to practically *every* Oracle newsgroup. And that's just basic Usenet sense, not some new-fangled technical requirement.

I also think his point was that the requested information is (in the great scheme of things) fairly easily discovered if you spend half an hour with the supplied Oracle documentation, and that this newsgroup should be considered as a last, desperate port in a storm, not a substitute for doing a bare minimum of work yourself.

Well, maybe Sybrand wouldn't phrase it *quite* like that, but can you see his point?

Oh, the answer incidentally is: user: system, password: manager or user: sys, password change_on_install. Except that it will be sys, password oracle if you're trying to start the database up from scratch.

Regards
HJR

> In article <967874784.25516.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > That would just require
> > a) *not* spamming questions like this to all Oracle newsgroups
> > b) read the Getting Started Manual
> > c) if you don't have that subscribe to http://technet.oracle.com
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >
> > "Peter" <pego99_at_mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > > I installed the Oracle 8i personal edition, developer 200 and
 sql*plus but
> > > I cannot see how to connect to the sample databases and use them.
 It seems