Re: Need Some Capacity planing Resources, Please

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 08:22:06 +0200

This are only a few of them. The general layout of tablespaces has been well documented in the Oracle DBA handbook by Kevin Loney, so I won't repeat them here.

Generally speaking:
pctincrease should be 0 on all tablespaces. Currently, disks getting bigger and bigger and cheaper and cheaper, it is advisable to avoid 'micro-management' of database objects. Instead, you could use uniform extents (in conjunction with the locally managed tablespace on 8i).
Always dedicate a separate tablespace to temporary segments. Ditto for rollback segments
Definitely use uniform extents on those two. Always keep on spare (off-line) rollback segment in the tablespace SYSTEM (to avoid havoc when you lose your rollback tablespace) Never place the rollback tablespace and online redolog files on one disk. (If you lose that disk, your database is finito) Always run a production instance in archivelog. Avoid having multiple files in a tablespace, that is*unless* you use those files for striping. If they are on one disk, this should be one file. Increase your online redo logfiles from the default to at least 5M, and have 4 of them. Verify your checkpoints occur not more frequent than once per 15 minutes.
Make sure the default storage clause of your temporary tablespace is such, a whole number of extents will exactly fit. Also make sure there is no big gap between sort_area_size and the initial extent for that tablespace.

Separate data and indexes in different tablespaces.

Always make sure no user except for SYS and SYSTEM have SYSTEM as their default tablespace.
Always make sure no users have SYSTEM as their temporary tablespace.

Make sure no user has the resource role and/or the unlimited tablespace privilege. Always try to use quota as much as possible.

These are the most generic, and they are the guidelines I am using when I setup a database or have to audit one.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Spammy Nono" <spambust_at_localhost.zz> wrote in message news:JGBr5.3520$Fl2.28561_at_nntpserver.swip.net...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> Please go ahead and draw!
>
> /Fad
>
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > On Technet.oracle.com there should be a whitepaper called "space the
 final
> > frontier". They also have info in the internet dba section.
> > If you want me to I can draw up a few guidelines easily.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> > "Reza" <reza_at_digital-dispatch.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > I looking for some resource of standards, procedures, guide-lines or
 say
> > > whitepapers (Oracle Related) which highlight the necessary steps and
 formal
> > > approach to setting up a well-architected and configured database
 system
> > > based on some client's business requirements.
> > > This is partly covered in system analysis and design literatures but
 they
 do