Re: how to drop a column?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_iprimus.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 19:33:30 +1100

"mike" <skyxx_at_263.net> wrote in message news:8oi5rv$29ut$1_at_news.cz.js.cn...
> Dear dirk:
> Thank u very much!
> But it still don't work !
> the error msg is "illegal alter table option"

Well, did you read his original message carefully, or what?

What version of Oracle do you have?

Anything earlier than 8.1.5, and the command he describes won't work. In which case your only option is to create a new table as a copy of the old one, drop the old one, then rename the new copy to be the same name as the old original.

Which is expensive, because no constraints are carried over the copy, nor are permissions, nor are any indexes. All will need to be redefined and recreated.

Regards
HJR