Re: import user

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_iprimus.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:14:49 +1100

<rock_cogar_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8ogldc$f6b$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Import does not create users, grants or tablespaces.
>
> I would suggest that you use the data dictionary views (connect as
> "system") dba_users, dba_sys_privs, dba_tablespaces to create the
> scripts to create the required users, grants and tablespaces. Next, I
> suggest that you import your data to the new instance on a schema by
> schema basis (rather than FULL DB).
>
> HTH.
> Rock.

That's odd, because if you open a full database export dump file in the text editor of your choice, you will discover that the first lines contain statements such as "Create tablespace X....", followed rapidly by "Create User xxx" statements, and rounded off by a bunch of 'grant privilege to user' statements.

Plus, I just did an entire database export, dropped a user with cascade option, and then did a full import (with ignore=Y), and Lo! The dropped User is back, together with his objects.

I think the thing is that import *Does* create Users, grants and tablespaces provided that your prior export was done in 'full database' mode.

Regards
HJR