Converting from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8

From: <ovema_at_asp.infostream.no>
Date: 02 Sep 2000 17:14:30 +0200

Hi.

I need to convert a already built schema from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8.

8859-1 is not a strict subset of UTF8 so converting directly is not possible. All the characters in 8859-1 are in the UTF8 set so there should be possible to convert without dataloss if done correctly.

My current plan is to recreate the tables, indexes etc on the new database then make a perl-script to move the data. I have never tried using DBI with anything else than 8859-1 but that shouldnt be to big a problem.

So over to the problem:

I dont have the build-scripts for the schema.

Is there anything out there that can read the schema from one database and generate the needed SQL to make the same schema on a new database? I would hate to have to go trough the database manually to get all the information.

I tried running exp/imp with rows=n but import still refuses to run due to the different char-sets.

--
Ove