Re: Password insanity :

From: Kenneth C Stahl <kcstahl_at_atl.mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 04:21:11 GMT

Art Heyman wrote:

> Password insanity :
>
> A newbie , just installed working demos (so many books and disks for $15 -
> thought I was lucky ) of Oracle 8 on my NT box - NOTHING FUNCTIONS (I've
> been programming and running my own consulting firm for 12 years -I think I
> know how to work with software ) I set up what I thought was a database - it
> 's sometimes called a Manegemet Server - and was told of the various ( so
> silly ) passwords to go along with it - when I try to run anything I'm asked
> for passwords with prompts that have NOTHING to do with the password
> descriptions given me - for SQL Plus , for example - what the hell is " Host
> String " ????
> I'm happy to kill off what I've done and start over, if I knew how to
> associate PW's I'm given with what I'm later asked for -
> Many thanks

Welcome to the world of Oracle. Unlike most install and use software, the Oracle RDBMS is virtually worthless out of the box because there is a lot of setup that must be done to create a database. Then on top of that you must also configure Net8 for client-side operations and a listener for the server side.

For instance, the "host string" is a service name that is created in the tnsname.ora file. If you are running sqlplus on the same machine where a database is located you can just leave that field blank because you'll be using the Bequeth protocol which doesn't need a service name. However, you will have to have the correct ORACLE_SID specified in your environment if you have more than one database instance.

When the software was installed, was a sample database created? If so look in the Services control panel and find a service that will having ORCL as a part of its name. If you start this service it will create the instance and mount the sample database. After that you can start sqlplus and enter SYSTEM as the userid and MANAGER as the password. Be careful though, that login has DBA privileges and if you start experimenting around too much with DML statements you could render your database inoperable.

For those of us who have been around Oracle for a while, all of this stuff comes naturally - but it really isn't the same as just running an install program and then clicking an icon and being able to work with the database. Which is, of course, why we DBAs tend to make a good chunk of pocket change. Received on Sat Sep 02 2000 - 23:21:11 CDT