Re: clean up the temp space

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_iprimus.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:39:59 +1100

"Patrick Hamou" <patrick_hamou_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:DFWr5.223554$1h3.4024530_at_news20.bellglobal.com...
> I had the same error... I had a transaction that occupied 100% of the
> temporary tablespace
> and the temporary tablespace was of type temporary...
> to solve the problem, I changed the type of the temporary tablespace to
> permanent :
> alter tablespace temp permanent;
>
> and 10 seconds later, the temporary tablespace was flushed and went back
> 0%
> of utilisation...
>
> it seems to be a bug in 7.3.4.4.1 or not far from that version...

Can't comment on whether it's a bug or not, but proper temporary tablespace is supposed to sit there fully used. Extents are never deallocated -not until you do a shutdown anyway. They are simply re-used by other sorts. In permanent tablespace, extents are dropped at the end of the initiating sort (and hence have to be re-created by any subsequent sorts -which is comparitively slow).

The general rule of thumb with temporary tablespace is that you agree, at the point of creating it, to kiss goodbye to all of it: the entire tablespace will be used, and that's normal.

Regards
HJR