Re: Best Intel OS for Oracle ?

From: <brian_at_climbers.ph>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 01:39:15 GMT

> > Our company's about to spring for an Oracle8i SE
> > license for Intel, but I'm not sure which Intel
> > OS we should be using. I'm trying to decide
> > between Linux and Solaris x86. Or would some
> > other OS (SCO? Win2k?) be better?
> >
> > It'll probably be running on one of our existing
> > servers, a 450MHz quad Xeon, 2GB expandable to
> > 4GB, RAID drives.

> Use RAID 0+1 not raid 5 or the OS isn't going to matter much. Disks
 being
> the slowest piece in the chain they will have the largest effect (+ or
 -);
> proper configuration and enough spindles will make a huge difference.

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm aware that I/O will be the bottleneck, but I'm also concerned with the stability, scalability, and reliability of the various Intel OS's. Obviously if we were going for a RISC platform I wouldn't have to make this decision...

BTW, I'll be using RAID 1+0, not RAID 0+1.

Brian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sat Sep 02 2000 - 20:39:15 CDT