Re: disk activity when no users/transactions

From: Silvio Seifert <silvio.seifert_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 18:40:34 GMT

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:04:55 GMT, Cosmin Ioan <cosmin_ioan_at_my-deja.com> wrote:

We have the same situation on Solaris 2.7, Oracle 8i. No memory shortage, check point interval and timeout set as in previous Oracle version, no database activities at all, no users apart from me on system.

Nevertheless, about every second some disk activity.

Using truss and lsof, I examined all Oracle background processes.

It's definitely the CHECKPOINT PROCESS, which accesses the controlfiles every second.

Is there a way to change this intervall ?

Regards

>thanks for all great responsens everbody....
>I guess, now I have a bit of testing/checking to do .... :-)
>again, thanks
>
>PS. I have 8.1.6 on NT 4.0 SP6. w/ 512 Mb Ram, PIII 500, and
>plenty 'available' RAM, although yes, the whole database (and Ora
>files) are on a single SCSI disk which I will change in the near
>future. I am aware of the spread of different tablespaces on multiple
>disks and 'am working on it' however this is just a test machine that
>I'm using at home and as such, had not allocated the proper hardware.
>Oracle runs pretty fast, although the Java management tools are awfully
>slow on my machine. I probably need to get a 1 Ghz machine :-) <g>
>

>In article <8nsq04$2re$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> cosmin_ioan_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>> hello all,
>>
>> I'm trying to troubleshoot and eliminate or at least, increase the
>> interval at which the harddrive is accessed when absolutely no users
 or
>> transactions are running on the server. Basically, the drive is
>> accessed about every 3 seconds (or so) and I believe it has to do with
>> the checkpoint process or some other oracle process. Could anybody
>> shed some light on how I can reduce/eliminate disk access when the
>> database is in no use (other than shutting down the instance, which
>> yes, eliminates all further disk accesses)
>>
>> thanks much,
>>
>> Cosmin
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.
>>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Silvio Seifert
Foehrer Strasse 34
65199 Wiesbaden
Germany Received on Sat Sep 02 2000 - 13:40:34 CDT