Re: sqlplus and a bug question

From: Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:07:03 -0500

First, in your environment set the EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi or whatever your path to vi is.... ie, at the prompt type;

EDITOR=/usr/bin/vi;export EDITOR

And voila !

Second, have you tried metalink (metalink.oracle.com) - here's some of the bug text..

This bug could result in server and background processes hanging in an   idle-wait loop. Running truss on the process would show similar output as
  above, repeating the same sequence of system calls:   semop (SIGALRM) sigprocmask times setitimer sigprocmask setcontext semop
  Note that the times() call would show a negative return value.   This negative return value was interpreted as an error, causing the server
  process to continue the idle-wait loop and never time out.   .
  If the machine clock ticks 100 times per second (truss -v would show HZ=100)
  then the times() call will return a negative value starting 248 days after the
  machine is booted. If the machine clock ticks 1000 times per second (HZ=1000),
  the times() call will return a negative value 24.8 days after the machine was
  booted.
  .
  A shutdown normal or immediate would hang as well. Only a shutdown abort could
  stop the instance, and it would hang again when mounting the database on
  startup.
  .
  The only recommended workaround for this problem is to reboot the machine
  where the times() call is returning a negative value, and schedule a reboot
  every 24 (HZ=1000) or 248 (HZ=100) days.   .
  Although some customers were able to restart their database in this situation
  after recreating the controlfile, this is not the correct solution. You are
  strongly advised NOT to recreate your controlfile when this problem occurs. It
  may not help, and you will lose useful information stored in the controlfile.

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:04:27 -0400, "Legend" <legend_at_spacelab.net> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>How can I bring up vi editor within an sqlplus session? Also where can I
>find out more information with an Oracle bug number #1084273?

o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o.o0o Kirt Thomas DBA- -kspamfreethomas_at_gfsiinc.com Received on Fri Sep 01 2000 - 20:07:03 CDT