Installing Oracle 8i on Linux

From: Wouter Verhelst <wouter_at_rock.dezevensprong.local>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 13:01:54 GMT

Hello

If this is not the right newsgroup, please point me to the right direction. thanks.

At school, I've been learning how to work with Oracle. They used Windows NT clients, but at home I'm used to using Linux, so I downloaded Oracle 8i EE for Linux to be able to practice at home.

Since yesterday evening, I've been trying to install it several times, but have not been able to connect to my local database server using sqlplus.
I installed a 'typical' installation, plus the 'programmer' client. Is that enough, or did I forget something?
In this situation, when I try to run sqlplus, it tells me:

Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus

And I get back to my prompt.
Can anyone tell me what I should do to be able to log on?

TIA, Wouter

--
  6:55pm  up  1:28,  3 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.91, 1.23

Voor een vertaling van Documentation/Configure.help naar het Nederlands:
http://users.pandora.be/wouter.verhelst/configure.html

Each honest calling, each walk of life, has its own elite, its own aristocracy
based on excellence of performance.  -- James Bryant Conant