Re: Oracle + IBM Shark Disk Arrays

From: Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:44:38 -0500

For what it's worth - we looked at the Shark and the Hitachi 7700E and ended up with the 7700E. We were told by IBM sales goomers that the Shark would do RAID 0+1 (RAID 10 ??) - but not until early next year.

We moved our redo and a couple of file systems onto some disk and have been monitoring performance (estat/bstat and iostat and filemon) and overall the RAID 5 with the 'enhancements' is performing comparably to the FCAL disks (nearly as good) which are 0+1, which surprised us.

I still think that for a performance critical system (especially in OLTP) a mirrored and stripped FCAL or SSA system going to be faster and more reliable. We are going to use our 2 tb for developement, test, and as a file server.

BTW - we went w/Hitachi over Shark because of the price, as near as we could tell they were both selling essentially the same thing.

Also, a new entry in this is Dell, which if they would have hit us up a month earlier than they did, we would have considered. They had not hooked to an AIX box, but were considerably cheaper and faster (drive speed, 0+1, cache etc).

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:48:55 GMT, wax_man_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Does anyone here have any experience (good or bad) using the IBM Shark
>Disk Arrays with Oracle? From what the salesperson is saying, it
>appears that the drive array will only run in RAID 5. However, they
>are stating that this system will not have the normal penalties of RAID
>5. We really want some "real world" users to let us know if this is
>actually true, and how they work for you.
>
>Also, this system will be used as the san for all of our Sun machines
>(which run the Oracle db's). Any comments of good/bad experiences with
>the Sun with IBM Shark disk array would also be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks for any and all comments.
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o..o0o.o0o Kirt Thomas DBA- -kspamfreethomas_at_gfsiinc.com Received on Thu Aug 31 2000 - 13:44:38 CDT