Re: How do i store "TIME DURATION" (what datatype should i use?)

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:41:51 GMT

In article <2jtr5.873$wS1.60471_at_nntp2.onemain.com>,   "Barbara Kennedy" <barbken_at_teleport.com> wrote: > Just store the time as a number of seconds. Then you could have a  view that
> separates the seconds into hours, minutes, seconds columns. Then  sorting on
> elapsed time is easy. You can have 2 functions one that takes hours, > minutes, seconds and converts it into seconds and one that takes  seconds and

> converts it into a fixed string hh:mi:ss e.g. (01:45:32).
> Jim
> "Alexandros Kotsiras, NYC" <alexandros_k_at_prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am building a database of Video Tapes.
> > Each tape (a record of the TAPE table) should have an attribute that
> > describes the "Total Recorded Time" of the tape
> > for example 1 Hour 25 minutes and 35 seconds. (This is not the
 capacity
> > of the Tape which can be 180 minutes etc) > > Also that is the format that the user will enter the recorded time  of a
> > tape through the interface , for example 3
> > text boxes for Hours, Minutes , Seconds.
> > I am wondering what is the best way to store this information.
> >
> > I was thinking of using 3 NUMBER fields in the Tape table (3
 Attributes
> > called HOURS , MINUTES, SECONDS)
> > Is that approach right ?
> > Then i can easily order by HOURS, MINUTES, SECONDS in my sql
 statement.
> > Also i can easily enforce CHECK constraints as "check MINUTES  between 0
> > and 59)
> >
> > I think that the DATE datatype is not appropriate since there is no
 date
> > concept (total number of seconds from the epoch) and then the order  by
> > clause on a DATE datatype will not make sense when i decide to  order
> > the tapes according to the Total Recorder Time.
> >
> > I would like to verify that my approach is right or I would like to
 hear
> > a better one.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex.

Here is a sample function to return hours, minutes and seconds from the total seconds:

create or replace function get_hms(ttlsecs in integer) return varchar2 as

David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.