Re: Varchar truncating question

From: Steffen Göck <stevie-g_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:29:05 +0200

Gert-Jan Strik <gj_at_ietsmet.nl> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: 39AD6DD9.A9BFD320_at_ietsmet.nl...
> It is a surprise if the database refuses to insert a row, because the data
 is
> too big for the column.
> But it is also a surprise if the data you entered is truncated, and this
> surprise might go unnoticed. Imagine that the next text string is just a
 couple
> of character too long "I don't have the money now, but tomorrow I will pay
 you
> $1000"

ACK. You´re right!

If BCliff has this demand for uncritical textfields, he should do it in a trigger.

If it happens, that there are relevant strings longer than the attribute in the table, the designers should review the length of the attribut.

Steffen Received on Thu Aug 31 2000 - 04:29:05 CDT