Re: SQL Server 7/2000 vs Oracle 8i

From: BillR <William.Rosmus_at_cita.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:50:16 GMT

These systems both have good proprietary features (ddl, dml), but reading this, I would also pay attention to how close these two rdbms's adhere to the ANSI standards... as well as their features that make the system more powerful (faster, robust) and easy to use. Using the proprietary features can lock you into always needing to use the same rdbms, even if another product is more desirable for a particular implementation.

BillR

In article <#VTQYK5EAHA.275_at_cppssbbsa04>,   "Kalen Delaney"
<kalen_delaney_at_hotmail.please_reply_on_public_forums.com> wrote:

> SQL Server 2000 provides Instead-Of triggers, which fire prior to (and
> instead of) the insert, update or delete statement that caused the
 trigger
> to fire.
>
> SQL Server 2000 has materialized views, which are called "Indexed
 Views"

> HTH
>
> --
> Kalen Delaney
> MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
> www.InsideSQLServer.com
> Feed Someone for Free Today:
> www.TheHungerSite.com
>
> Phil <jsneth_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Triggers in Oracle are extremely flexible. With SQL Server (last
 time
> > I checked), programmers were comparitively limited in the control
 they
> > had over when a trigger executes.
> >
> > Oracle 8i's "materalized views" (like views, but actually store data
> > for perfomance) are not a feature SQL Server has yet - I *think*.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Aug 31 2000 - 18:50:16 CDT