Re: SQL Server 7/2000 vs Oracle 8i

From: Phil <jsneth_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:00:22 GMT

SQL Server didn't even have row-locking until version 7, as I recall. Doh!

In either case, Oracle provides enormous flexibility in precisely configuring your database instance. SQL Server does not, but some would like SQL Server because it is easier.

Triggers in Oracle are extremely flexible. With SQL Server (last time I checked), programmers were comparitively limited in the control they had over when a trigger executes.

Oracle 8i's "materalized views" (like views, but actually store data for perfomance) are not a feature SQL Server has yet - I *think*.

I think Microsoft is getting pretty close to Oracle, but I'd still give the the edge (RDBMS only) to Oracle. I'll be happy when I can clearly articulate the view that Microsoft is best. I'm tired of maintaining both.