Storage Clause in Create Table Statement.

From: Troy Simpson <Troy_Simpson_at_ncsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 09:36:33 -0400

I'm trying to understand how to allocate space to a table segment in the Storage Clause of the Create Table Statement. I have read what appears to be conflicting information. If I know before creating the table that I have 8 Megs of data to add to the table, should I set the Initial Extent to equal 8 Megs? Or, should I set all extent to be the same size? I have also read that the number blocks per extent may effect performance due to the operating system's I/O buffer size and the parameter db_file_multiblock_read_count in the init.ora file.

Here is a sample of a create table statment that I'm working with.

Create Table Employee
(

    id Number(11) NOT NULL,
    fname VarChar(30),
    lname VarChar(30),
    CONSTRAINT Employee_id_pk PRIMARY KEY ( id ) USING INDEX TABLESPACE Data_Indexes
)
Storage
(

   Initial 10240
   Next 10240
   MinExtents 1
   MaxExtents unlimited
   PctIncrease 50
)
Tablespace Data_Tables

Any other comments would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

--
Troy Simpson | North Carolina State University
NCSU Libraries | Campus Box 7111 | Raleigh | North Carolina