Auto start DB on linux

From: JMNpst <jmnpst_at_aol.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2000 16:42:24 GMT

I am trying to automatically start the Oracle Data Base and listener upon booting up our linux server, but it doesn't seem to work. In the instructions, it says to modify the /etc/oratab file and change the N to Y, and verify that the SID and HOME is correct - it is. Then it tells me to set up the dbora file in /etc/rc.d/init.d directory and gave me a default script to create, and then the link to /etc/rc.d/rc0.d AND /etc/rc.d/rc2.d. All this is done. I can run the dbora script manually with start and stop parms and the db starts and stops OK, but when I re-boot the server, it doen't seem to execute the dbora script. I can verify this by executing the dbora script manually and it will start the db, or I can also use sqlplus to try to log on, and it tells me oracle is not available. All this tells me that the dbora script is not being run at re-boot time. If i login as root or oracle8i - neither one starts the db. Oracle support says that it is an operating system problem. When the servers boots up, is it supposed to run the links in the rc* folders? Am I supposed to do anything with my bash profile? Can anyone help? I am running RH 6.2 and Oracle 8.1.5 EE with all patches applied. Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 11:42:24 CDT