Re: Mixed Case table name

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:26:23 +0200

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:35:00 GMT, eoin7_at_my-deja.com wrote:

>Using Oracle 8.1.6 on NT:
>
>I created a table in Oracle from a table in MS Access using an ODBC
>connection. The table name is mixed case.
>When I log on to Oracle through SQL Plus, I cannot see the table.
>DESCRIBE does not work, DROP does not work (table does not exist), yet
>it's listed in the user_tables dictionary table.
>
>Luckily, I have DBA Studio, the new graphical DBA tool, and using this
>I was able to delete the table.
>
>What's the deal?
>Why does Oracle allow a mixed case table name yet can't let you do
>anything with it?
>
>Thanks
>Eoin
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

You need to enclose the table name in double quotes. Oracle in fact considers lowercase characters to be 'special characters' hence the quotes.
That said, you really don't want to used mixed case object names, as it is a big PITA.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 12:26:23 CDT