Re: How do i store "TIME DURATION" (what datatype should i use?)

From: Steve McDaniels <steve.mcdaniels_at_sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:15:17 -0700

use DATE field types:

create table test
(START_DATETIME date,
END_DATETIME date);

insert into test values (to_date('30-AUG-2000 15:20:00','DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS'),

                                         to_date('30-AUG-2000
15:10:00','DD-MON-YYYY HH24:MI:SS')); Then use date arithmetic to compute elapsed time.

SQL> select (start_datetime - end_datetime) * 24 * 60 timediff_in_minutes;

TIMEDIFF_IN_MINUTES

                 10

Note: 24 hours * 60 minutes = 1440