Re: Is Oracle deliberately difficult?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_iprimus.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:52:03 +1100

<chriss_at_enteract.com> wrote in message news:8ogii6$bkf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <39ab7ae5_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_iprimus.com> wrote:
> >
> > Accepted, and respected. I'm just wondering if you can give a
 specific
> > example.
> >
> > When I first encountered Oracle, I thought it was beautifully
 engineered,
> > and I don't really see what the difficulties are. I do Oracle
 training
> > courses, so I see the the things students have trouble with, but it's
 easy
> > to buy out of that with thoughts such as 'that's students for
 you', 'well
> > what do you expect if they insist on keeping their mobile phones
 switched on
> > for the course's duration', or 'what do you expect -it is 5 over-
 packed days
> > after all'.
> >
> > The Oracle databases I have at home are managed using tried and tested
> > server manager, and I've never got on with the 'click OK and trust to
 luck'
> > kind of approach. Seems too much to be riding on to go that route.
> >
> > Still, I'd like to hear of specific examples you have in mind.
>
> I am still very much a neophyte and most examples I would point out are
> simply because it is a different paradigm from what I am used to. That
> alone is what causes a lot of problems for people starting out. Once I
> get my hands around the architecture and the basic setup, design,
> philosophy, and some rudimentary PL/SQL I'll probably be ok. However
> this is a far cry from when I started with SQL Server. However that's
> the Microsoft way - Information for the Idiots.
>
> I have a ways to go and will be covering more of the basics over the
> next few months as I get it set up on my Linux box at home. We have
> it running on some NT boxes at the office that I sometimes have to
> admin - but I'm forced into doing because I work with some dolts (i.e.
> oracle programmers who don't understand how to DBA what they are
> working on) and I've never been trained in it. So when I sit down and
> have to go to server manager and piddle around in there I'm like a kid
> with a jr. chemistry set hoping he doesn't blow something up.
>
> You say you feel more comfortable with the CLI then P&C. Why? The
> only benefit I can see is that you're less likely to hit the wrong
> button or try something not knowing what you're doing and mess
> something up. On the otherhand P&C you're more likely to find things
> when your not intimately familiar with the system and get it working.

Just a personal thing, I guess. I feel more in control when hand-crafting the stuff, and very out of control when a simple click on a few options and an OK button goes off and does it stuff. I'm very much a Microsoft boy at heart -I don't get on with command lines usually. But for some reason, I trust my work more when I'm responsible for it.

I think it would help if Oracle produced a GUI front end that actually worked without fuss, and didn't run like a dog with two legs missing. OEM doesn't quite do it for me, I'm afraid!

Regards
HJR