Re: Is Oracle deliberately difficult?

From: Serge *Anonymous Coward* Marelli <s.nospam.marelli_at_somewhere.not.intrasoft.lu>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:41:23 GMT

Da Big Book quoteth on Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:53:58 +0200, famous Monk Bent Mathiesen <bm_at_tli.de> preached:

[snip]

> I've used Oracle for a number of years, on different platforms,
> withdifferent application. In a way I find Oracle simpel yet
> complex. When I started to use Oracle, I had the usual
> questions - but after a while all the ordinary stuff in the
> engine became routine as well as the network communication,
> the packages the logical database and 24x7 uptime.
>
> However, I think Oracle have beome to "errophrone" during
> the lastest years - and therefore harder to administrate.
> Like, what help is an enterprise manager, when it cannot
> report correctly, if your database is in archive mode or not.
> And that is only *one* example - I have plenty of these.

I've only recently (since february) gotten into the actual hard-DBA part of Oracle (before I was probably one of the 'dolts' mentionned in another post) and I have a few comments to this thread. My background is that of a pure developer. I have not found the oracle concepts to be that outlandish, but then I didn't have too many previous paradigms to shift :)
However I have been largely disappointed by the quality (or lack thereof) of the Oracle GIU Admin tools (i.e. enterprise manager tools). I use Oracle 8 on NT and Oracle 7 on Unix. I manage to crash the storage manager and the instance manager on NT on a quasi-regular basis (i.e. almost every second time I use them) with some GPF or other and I find this hard to accept for the kind of product it is (supposed to be).
I don't have the level of proficiency necessary yet to do without these tools and go for hard SQL and other CLI tools, but it feels like _these_ are safe and sure and our local DBA uses only these. Plus they are the same on Unix and NT.

my 3 LUF (not EUR yet)

Serge

  The opinions expressed are mine and none other's

Serge Marelli
s.marelli_at_somewhere.not-intrasoft.lu Received on Wed Aug 30 2000 - 03:41:23 CDT