Re: can't alter database archivelog

From: <terry_banicki_at_illinova.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:45:08 GMT

try this:
from a dos prompt:
> svrmgr30

svrmgr> connect internal
svrmgr> shutdown;
svrmgr> startup nomount;
svrmgr> alter database mount exclusive;
svrmgr> alter database archivelog;
svrmgr> alter database open;
svrmgr> exit

then edit your init.ora to include
log_archive_start = true
and set the log archive destination with log_archive_dest = \orant\archivelogs\whatever... save the changes to the init.ora file
then shutdown and restart the database
ensure the changes have taken effect
>svrmgr30
svrmgr> shutdown immediate
svrmgr> startup
svrmgr> archive log list;

you should see:
Database Log Mode ARCHIVE LOG
Automatic Archival ENABLED

Terry
In article <01c011c2$7ddbd360$2dc1790f_at_bj210276>,   "junfan" <fanjun_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to Oracle for NT. I want to change the redo log in archive
 log, so
> I tried to restart instance and mount the db without open it. However,
> don't know how to do such a simple job under window nt. Alway I start
 the
> db instance through nt service and the db is alway mounted and opened.
> tried to "alter database close" in sqlplus but failed.
>
> Any suggestion will be highly appreciated

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Aug 29 2000 - 12:45:08 CDT