Index Slot to Create

From: Mark Schenkel <markschenkel_at_alpinesoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:49:50 GMT

Index Slow to Create

  I have a table with 9000 records and a column 40 wide. Attempting to create an index on this table against this field takes upward of about   7 minutes (on a pentium 500). In past times creating indexes on this same table (with approximately the same amount of data) has not taken   nearly as long. The tablespace in which the table belongs has ample space free (~200MB). When the index is being created I can hear the   hard drive on the server doing a lot of work. I am very surprised why this is now taking so long to create a simple index. Are there   temporary tablespaces I need to be concerned about?

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Mark. Received on Mon Aug 28 2000 - 20:49:50 CDT