Re: Is Oracle deliberately difficult?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:07:14 +0200

"Sid_James" <sid.james_at_virgin.net> wrote in message news:39AAD6A9.5540_at_virgin.net...
> I've been learning Oracle for a while now and I do think of it as quite
> challenging in an enjoyable way. I don't use Enterprise Manager, I'd
> rather get to to know the 'nuts and bolts'. However, having done a SQL
> Server administrator's course, I can't help thinking that Oracle is
> rather more difficult to use than maybe it should be.
>
> Sensible, rational responses that shoot me up in flames are always
> preferable!
>
> e d

This all depends on the way you used to work, and where you started learning. First of all, Oracle has a history for over 20 years, and the last really major revolution (with the exception of 8i) they have been building on the same foundation.
For sofar I read comments of sqlserver people, it looks to me they are used to a point and shoot approach.
That approach is not going to work in Oracle. It does work, but usually it results in several major disasters.
You could start learning somewhere, but you really should try to get a conceptual overview, ie start reading the Oracle Concepts Manual. You should probably discover the whole idea behind it is rather consistent and consistently implemented.
As you don't provide any examples of what you find difficult, it is difficult to provide you with a proper answer. If you want a more adequate response, you definitely should do that. However 'deliberately' difficult, where this adjective for me has an emotional/negative coloring, why on earth would they want to do that? You are unfamiliar with the Oracle way of reasoning, that's all. If Oracle really was deliberately difficult, why would it sell so many copies?

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 28 2000 - 17:07:14 CDT