Re: 7.3.4 Statistics Problem

From: Richard <roxl_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 19:03:12 +1000

> Does anyone have tips or tricks for copying stats
> from a 7.3.4 production volume database into
> another schema which has smaller tables, for
> performance testing using the cost-based
> optimiser?

I don't think this is advisable, but it does raise in interesting question in relation to tuning queries on large production databases. I'm curious as to whether anyone has a good solution to this. In my experience it has been possible to beta-test batch programs directly on prod, through precautions such as

Tuning batch programs seems easy though - it's usually obvious what can be done to speed them up, just a question of whether it ís/isn't required or gives value to the customer (given the other tasks requiring time). End-user queries are another issue. Changing stats on a data warehouse can potentially cause large changes to the runtime of reports they've built. If runtime increases 100% they're justifiably annoyed. If the report now fails .... well there's another PL/SQL task that'll have to be done today.

Thoughts anyone?

Richard Gowan Received on Sun Aug 27 2000 - 04:03:12 CDT