Oracle Replication - Update Conflict

From: <handyn_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:46:55 GMT

Dear All
I have a problem with an advance replication. The pre-configuration for Update Conflict and all method includes MAXIMUM, MINIMUM & SITE PRIORITY methods have not matched with my expectation.

Now I'm using a SITE PRIORITY method
The situation just like this:
I have two databases name as ORC2 and ORC1

  1. I want to replicate EMP table in the Scott scheme for example.
  2. I add field "SITE" into EMP table on ORC1 and ORC2 (Like API from Oracle 8i).
  3. I Creating a Priority Group for ORC1 = 100 and ORC2 = 50. In this case oracle system will recognize that priority for site ORC1 is higher then site ORC2.
  4. After I execute all API into the Scott scheme, I tried to test the Update Conflict.
  5. It occurred the same error just like before I use the SITE PRIORITY method.
  6. I checked the EMP table; field "SITE" is empty. I had to update it manually with 'ORC1' on ORC1 site, and 'ORC2' on ORC2 site, this situation happen just like when I configure at PRIORITY_GROUP.
  7. Using manually, The Update Conflict was running well.
  8. I tried to update field "SAL" on ORC1 and ORC2 with the same record at the same time, value from ORC1 overwrite value on ORC2 (this is correct), but the problem is not only the value in field "SAL" is being updated, but also the value from the parameter field ("SITE") on ORC1 was propagated and overwrite the ORC2 site. Therefore field "SITE" on ORC2, which is, should be having a value 'ORC2' become to 'ORC1'.

Another case is:

1.I updating some record on ORC2 without make any update on ORC1 at the same time. The record was updated only on ORC2 and it doesn’t have any effect on ORC1. It seems like that the propagation data from ORC2 to ORC1 is been discarded by ORC1, so the data becoming not consistent anymore. But when I updated same record on ORC1, It will make some update on ORC2 including the parameter field "SITE".

2. This kind of problem is the same problem like when I use the MAXIMUM method. I have added one field "PRIORITY" on each site (ORC1 & ORC2) then I updated the PRIORITY field with value=10 on site ORC1 and value=20 on site ORC2. If I use Update Conflict Resolution with a MAXIMUM pre-configuration, it causing the conflict value on ORC1 overwritten value on ORC2 and the value from the parameter is also overwritten.

These situations make the "PRIORITY" field value on ORC1 after updating become 20. To avoid this situation, I'm using a trigger to keep the value the same like before the updating (and it's work!).

My questions are:
1. That kind of problem like I faced above, is that an Oracle Bug? Or there is how Oracle works for Pre-configuration Conflict Resolution (if that's true, I think it's a very strange). Do you have a way out ?

2. What should I do if I want the conflict Method can be automatically run when the conflict happen And I want the data being propagate even though I make an update on SITE with low priority (SITE PRIORITY method).What kind a trigger, procedure or setup to make it run ?

Thanking all of you in advance for answering my question.

Best regards
Handy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Sun Aug 27 2000 - 22:46:55 CDT