Re: Oracle 8 and Oracle 8i...

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:26:06 +1100

"Kjetil Skotheim" <kjetilskotheim_at_iname.com> wrote in message news:39A6E61A.4F3C1D95_at_iname.com...

> My theory is that oracle8i is 8.1.6 Enterprice Edition or larger
> while oracle8 is anything version 8. (But I might be wrong here).
>
> Sandy wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to know what's the difference between oracle8
> > and oracle 8i and also if i should buy a book concerning
> > oracle ( I am working with no one of these databases for
> > the moment) which one would be better to learn oracle.

New features in 8i (off the top of my head): transportable tablespaces, the ability to interpret the contents of Redo Logs, a simple 'move tablespace' command to relocate tables, java functionality, new partitioning algorithms, ability to cheaply coalesce indexes instead of expensively rebuild them, fine grained access control.

I'm sure there's more -but log miner (where you can 'see' inside Redo Logs) is worth the upgrade on its own.

As for which one is better to learn -frankly, don't waste your time on Oracle 8. I give it three or four years, and 8 will be de-supported just as 7 is about to be. If you were learning spreadsheets, would you start by learning Excel 95? The analogy is not quite right, because if you work in the industry you are likely to encounter a good many Oracle 8 installations for a good few years. However, if you learn about 8.1.5 or 8.1.6, you'll only be learning *extra* stuff. It's always easier to de-apply the extras than to newly-acquire extras you originally missed out on.

And just so there's no confusion, "8i" is the marketing name for 8.1.5, "8i Release 2" for 8.1.6. "Oracle 8" refers to any 8.0 release -eg, 8.0.5 or 8.0.6

Regards
HJR
> > thanks a lot
> >
> > Sandy
> >
> > * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find
related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful