Re: Table updates during hot backups

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 16:24:51 GMT

Neil,

> Would I be right in saying that all changes made to a table in a specific
> tablespace, whilst that tablespace is in backup mode, are held in the online
> redo logs and applied only when the tablespace is bought back online (End
> Backup) ?

This is not correct. While a tablespace is in backup mode, changes are still being applied to the tablespace segments. Therefore, there is no need to apply any changes to the tablespaces when it is no longer in backup mode, all the changes have been applied.

At first this may seem like an inconsistent backup, and it is. When a tablespace is in backup mode, any changes made to that tablespace's segments are written to the redo logs at the block level, instead of the statement level. That way, when the tablespace is restored from the hot backup, the modified blocks are applied from redo logs.

> If this is not the case, how are changes applied to the tablespace at the
> End Backup ?

Changes are not applied at the end of the backup. They are applied throughout the backup.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at