Re: Can not install online help in 8i

From: <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 19:44:21 GMT

In article <8o6g48$ais$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sadenwala_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> In oracle 7, at sqlplus prompt, I could type "help alter table" to get
> a syntax help.
>
> In oracle 8i, I ran helpins with system id and its password, which
> installed help. But with this, all I get is help with the SQLPLUS
> commands (like how to use ttitle, etc). I get message "help not
> available" when I type "help alter table".
>
> Do I need to run anything else to get SQL help?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Check on your system for files named plusload.log, plsload.log and sqlload.log -- these files were created when 'helpins' invoked SQL*Loader to load the appropriate data into the HELP table. Since none of the ALTER TABLE help is available I would suspect that either the sqlload.ctl file failed to load (the ALTER ... help is found in the $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/admin/help/sqlload.ctl file) or it errored out during the load. If the sqlload.log file is available you should see how far the load progressed and what caused any errors to the load. Errors should have also created a sqlload.bad file in the same directory, listing the bad records (by default up to 50). Looking at the 'helpins' script these log and bad files will be found in the same directory you were in when you executed 'helpins'; I don't know how much help that information will be to you. If you are on a UNIX system (which I shall presume) you can find these files by executing the following command at the shell prompt:

$ find / -name "*.log" -type f -print | egrep 'help|sqlload'

You might want to copy this and paste it at the prompt (presuming you are running telnet or X-Windows emulation). This command starts at the root, /, and searches all directories for any file with a '.log' extension and prints the name to the screen. The second part of this command filters the output from the 'find' and only passes through files with 'help' or 'sqlload' as part of the name. This should return the three files I listed above and give you full paths to them. Should any of these log files be missing this will indicate that SQL*Loader did not load the data, most likely because it wasn't called to do so. If that is the case you may want to drop the HELP table and re-run 'helpins'.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA