Re: to RAID5 or Mirror

From: fooguy <jweisen_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:28:08 GMT

I'd suggest avoiding RAID 5 at all costs with a database. You're going to take a huge performance hit with the parity calculations, especially with more input that read. (6) 36 gig disks probably isn't where you want to be, as spindle speed (and number of) is crucial to performance. Your best bet is to stripe and mirror (RAID 10) or don't apply any raid level, and distribute the database over the disks properly. Make sure and mirror your redo logs though.

In article <20000825012103.19426.00000016_at_ng-fz1.aol.com>,   johnfrani_at_aol.com (Johnfrani) wrote:
> We need to run Oracle 8.1 in an NT 4 environment on an HP Netserver
 with 1gb
> RAM, dual processors, dual controllers, and six 36gb drives. The
 application
> is a police records management system and we want to maximize the
 input speed
> rather than read speed.
>
> Is there any clear performance advantage between configuring in RAID 5
 vs
> mirroring 2 sets of three 36gb drives?
>
> Thanks - John

"All I every wanted from life was to see
Larry Wall give Bill Gates a Perl Necklace."

/*
John Eisenschmidt
fooguy AT AT AT eisenschmidt DOT DOT DOT org
(you know the drill)
*/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.