Re: disk activity when no users/transactions

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:27:35 GMT

In article <8nsq04$2re$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   cosmin_ioan_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I'm trying to troubleshoot and eliminate or at least, increase the
> interval at which the harddrive is accessed when absolutely no users
 or
> transactions are running on the server. Basically, the drive is
> accessed about every 3 seconds (or so) and I believe it has to do with
> the checkpoint process or some other oracle process. Could anybody
> shed some light on how I can reduce/eliminate disk access when the
> database is in no use (other than shutting down the instance, which
> yes, eliminates all further disk accesses)
>
> thanks much,
>
> Cosmin

What OS and version of Oracle are you running? Are you sure it is Oracle and not the OS accessing the disk?

Have you verified that no task or job is being ran from cron or dbms_job? Verified that exp, hot backups, and/or rman are not being ran?

The only Oracle process that I can think of that runs every 3 seconds is log writer which will wake up and write the log buffer every 3 seconds if the first two triggering events have not occurred in the last 3 seconds, but if no updates have been done I do not think Oracle would need to write the buffer.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.