Re: Multiple database in one instance

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:10:27 +1000

"David Grzebien" <dgrzebie_at_columbus.rr.com> wrote in message news:39A1E049.F7FFBA0E_at_columbus.rr.com...
> Let's define what a database is and an instance.
>
> A database is a collection of related data.
> An instance (in Oracle) are the background process that run Oracle (ie.
> SMON, PMON, etc).
>
> With this in mind, it is possible to create many databases in one
instance.

With regret, entirely untrue.

An Instance is a structure in memory that manages a database. It comprises the SGA and the Background processes. You will have one SMON, and one PMON, per database. Without exception.

A Database is composed of Control Files, Data Files, and Redo Logs.

It is a cast iron rule in Oracle that an Instance can manage precisely one, and only one, database -and that rule applies whether you dabble in exotic configurations such as MTS or Parallel Server, or not.

You are about as wrong as it is possible to be, though perhaps this is because of unfamiliarity with Oracle terminology.

> I would probably create them in separate schemas as well.

And a schema means something entirely different in Oracle (in Oracle, it means the collection of objects created by a User).

Regards
HJR