Re: Sequence design question ~~

From: Tim Hentzel <thentzel_at_silicon-age.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:48:56 GMT

could you just use _one_ standard oracle sequence without caching for all the boards and just order the results for that board by the sequence when displayed. if you have to show a number with them, just display the rownum...

hth,
tim hentzel

http://www.codegarden.com

In article <8nqev8$bnf$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Chun-Yen <agi_at_haa.com.tw> wrote:
> Hello,theres
> We want to develop a forum system. There're lots of boards in each
> forum category. When a user post a message to a board, I want to
 keep
> the sequence for the post for each board. Therefore, I need lots of
> sequences. In my mind, I have three methods to choose,
>
> meth1
> Just do "SELECT MAX(seq) from msg_tab where boardid=100 FOR UPDATE",
> before I insert a message to msg_tab

> meth2
> create a trigger to dynamic generate sequence "seq_board_100" for
> further usage, therefore, I'll have lots of sequences.
> meth3
> create a sequence table seq_tab ( boardid number(4),max number(10))
> each board corresponds to a record, whenever I post a message,
 update
> the max value for the board.
>
> Which one is better ??
> Any other ideas ??
> Do appreciate for any comments !!
>
> Rgds,
> Agi
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Aug 21 2000 - 10:48:56 CDT