Re: Oracle8i vs. SQL Server 2000

From: Neil Pike <100577.553_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:57:30 +0100

 Greg,

 > Actually, that's not entirely true. With triple mirrored disks you can
> do it (and SQL 2000 will support "serverless" (I think that's what they
> are calling it) backups. Of course I'm sure you knew that. :-)

 I did, but remember that it pauses SQL Server whilst doing it, so it does affect it! (albeit briefly...)

> I'd argue slightly here. It is good policy to run a DBCC before
> backups to ensure the validity of your database.

 If you don't run 24x7 I'd agree. On 24x7 systems I would normally take a dump of the db and then load it to parallel hardware and then dbcc the parallel copy.

> If I'm forced to convert from SQL 7.0/2000, I think Oracle would be 3rd
> on my list, after DB2.

 Probably the same here.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE. Protech Computing Ltd  Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7 - SQL Public)  or http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq Received on Mon Aug 21 2000 - 17:57:30 CDT