Re: UTF8, ODBC and Japanese

From: <olevine_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:40:38 GMT

We have been able to write and read UTF8 Japanese in Oracle using Java and the Oracle JDBC thin driver. As far as I can find out, ODBC drivers in general only understand single-byte text.

I'm having the same problem with WebDB - I want to create WebDB sites to view and edit Japanese data stored in an Oracle 8i database, and so far haven't succeeded. From the output I see in WebDB (question marks instead of text), it looks like WebDB is also reading the text data as singlebyte  text, not UTF8.

-Oren

In article <8mf8mk$ad3$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   bauernk_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I have created an Oracle 8.0.4 database with a
 characterset of UTF8. I'm
> trying to store Japanese Unicode characters
 into the database and select them
> for display on my PC.
>
> I'm inserting the characters using the chr()
 function:

> insert into mytable values (chr(15123368));
>
> Where 15123368 is the UTF8 encoding for the
 Katakana character 30E8 (Unicode
> code point for that character). When I dump
 the contents of that column:

> select dump(string, 1016) from mytable;
>
> I can see that it has indeed stored a multibyte
 character:

> Typ=96 Len=10 CharacterSet=UTF8:

 e6,c3,a8,20,20,20,20,20,20,20

> However, I have yet to come up with anyway
 to 'select * from mytable' and
> see the actual character in Japanese. We've
 tried a client-side test program
> with an Oracle ODBC driver, but the values we
 get back seem to be sent as
> single-byte characters; we've tried downloading
 Japanese fonts for Exceed
> and selecting against our Unix database server;
 and have tried creating a
> Web application using Oracle's WebDB to view
 directly in IE. Of course,
> we've set NLS_LANG and all the other language
 parameters we can think
> of.
>
> It just can't be this complicated to read
 multibyte data from a UTF8
> database. Does anybody have any documentation,
 an example, or
> solutions to make this work?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Niels Bauer
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Aug 21 2000 - 13:40:38 CDT